Planetary Annihilation Modding 8 – Networked Play

Currently working on networking the standalone application element of the mod

pamod11

(Art belongs to UberEnt & Planetary Annihilation)

Using the Lidgren C# UDP networking library, which has been really easy to work with so far.

Currently players can connect to games and take turns performing actions, which are validated by the server & then sent to all connected clients.

pamod12

(The turn notification UI is just placeholder at the moment)

Planetary Annihilation Modding 6 – Galaxy Generation

With my Honours project done, I am happy to finally get back to this.  Working on some procedural galaxy generation.

pamod7

(Art belongs to UberEnt & Planetary Annihilation)

This should allow for some more interesting layouts, as before I was just hard-coding the systems and the routes between them.

 

The generation works by;

• Randomly positioning a number of systems within a bounding box, while collision testing to ensure there is no overlay between themselves

• Connecting all systems within a short range of each other

• Grouping together all the systems which are linked

• Finding the shortest paths to link these isolated groups of systems together

 

It seems to work well enough for my purposes at the moment, but I could make it more interesting by adding some more random paths later on.

The systems also have a procedural name which just combines two strings from arrays of names and suffixes.

Planetary Annihilation Modding 2 – Progress!

Progress with the actual modification part, now when players build something they will construct their unique version instead of the default.  This may not seem like much but it forms the foundation of the concept, as it allows each player to have separate statistics and units.

Planetary Annihilation Mod 2

(notice that the tower’s name has been appended with a 0, as I was the first player)

Also thanks to wondible for the Instant Sandbox test environment mod

Planetary Annihilation Modding

I recently started playing Planetary Annihilation: Titans (PA) multiplayer with some mates & have been really enjoying it.

Planetary Annihilation Mod

 

As with any enjoyable PC game I quickly started looking into the modding scene, to improve our experience with preexisting mods and look into creating mods for the game personally.  I discovered that PA actually has a notable mod community (though fairly small in number), which was strongly encouraged by Uber Entertainment (being listed initially in their Kickstarter as “Advanced Modding features”).

 

I’ve decided to try and make my own multiplayer version of the game’s Galactic War campaign mode.  In this singleplayer mode the player moves through a galaxy map playing AI skirmishes and unlocking new technologies (e.g. new units or buffs) for each victory.  My current concept is an external galaxy map featuring the functionality of the campaign and allowing for new technologies to be unlocked, which I have created a small prototype of in the C# game framework Otter (as pictured above).  This external application will edit the base .JSON files describing each unit and export them into the game.

 

The major problem I foresee at the moment is that most of the unit .JSON files are not unique per player (excluding the unique commander units), which would cause any technology unlocked to be shared among all players.  My current low-tech solution to this is to make a copy of each unit per player and then alter their build menu UI to reflect this.

 

You can follow the project here:
johnjoemcbob/PA_MultiplayerGalacticWar